Nestled within the scenic hamlet of Harlemville, NY – a 20-minute drive from Hudson – Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School may seem at first glance to be in an area that’s more agricultural than cosmopolitan, but it won’t take long to discover abundant cultural and natural pursuits within a short drive:
- The Amtrak NYPenn train line is available in nearby Hudson; and MetroNorth is available out of Wassaic and Poughkeepsie;
- The City of Hudson – with its hip and emerging cultural scene – is only 20 minutes from campus;
- The quaint village of Chatham is just up the road;
- Recognized performance venues, eateries, boutique shopping and antiquing, wineries and breweries, museums and historic sites abound;
- A rich arts scene – the famed Hudson River School Art Trail, a wide range of galleries, and access to workshops and classes for every medium – enrich community life;
- This is a community that supports healthy living with slow and local food, and wellness offerings in abundance throughout the county;
- It’s a short drive to ski Catamount, which includes an after school ski program;
- There are endless activities for the nature enthusiast including swimming, hiking, cross country skiing, mountain biking and more with a large network of parks right here in Columbia County!
More than thirty percent of our school families loved the area and our school so much, that they made the decision to relocate and now call the Hudson Valley their home!
This is an ideal place to raise a family. Recognized by National Geographic as one of the world’s 20 must-see places (#11/20 in the list), the Hudson Valley offers unsurpassed rural beauty, a rich cultural scene and myriad recreational opportunities.
Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School, in operation for 44 years, is uniquely situated on 500 ecologically-rich acres of diversified farmland and forest. The school’s curriculum is integrated with Hawthorne Valley’s working Biodynamic® farm. We offer developmentally appropriate, hands-on education for toddlers through 12th grade. Our seasoned faculty are devoted to generating an inner enthusiasm for learning within every child that will last a lifetime.
Our school community is warm and welcoming, with a dedicated and involved Parent Teacher Association. On-campus festivals held throughout the year help build the bonds of community and create an environment in which you and your family will grow and flourish. Ask and we’ll schedule a time for you to talk to meet an existing family to share their story and answer questions you may have.
And our on-campus farm store is a community hub, offering an array of local, organic and Biodynamic® foods, prepared foods, as well as items to meet all of your household needs. The store also carries all of the artisanal organic products made right here on our farm – cheeses, yogurt and raw milk from our creamery; baked goods and breads from grains grown on the farm; sauerkraut, kimchi, hot sauce and more from our fermentation enterprise.
Please come for a visit – we’d love to show you around!
In the meantime, explore the following websites for a glimpse into Hudson Valley living: