Parent Teacher Association
Festival Planning and Volunteering - Silent Auction 2020
Festivals are an integral part of life here at Hawthorne Valley. The school hosts two festivals annually: the Spring Fair & May Day celebration, and the Yuletide Fair in early December. To learn more about these festivals, please visit the links. This page is dedicated to information for parents about organizing and volunteering for these two important school-based events.
Information on this page will be updated as volunteer opportunities arise. You may also fill out our Parent/Caregiver Involvement Form at anytime with your availability and interests. Many thanks!
The Yuletide Fair is the school’s largest festival and takes place each winter in early December. The fair engages everyone in the community – kids, teachers, parents, extended family members & friends! It is a magical event and one of the greatest opportunities to express our individual talents and to experience the strength and unique beauty of our community. The fair also contributes significantly to the school’s fundraising efforts. Much preparation, planning, and crafting go into making the fair an outstanding event for everyone!
This year, due to the coronavirus pandemic, we will not be holding the live Yuletide Fair. Instead, we will be holding a Silent Auction fundraiser.
The PTA will help to organize this one and only fundraiser for 2020. We ask that all classes (100%) participate in one or more of the following ways.
- We are asking parents and faculty to donate something to the auction, or to reach out to a favorite business to request an item for the auction. Please check this list prior to reaching out to a business to make sure businesses aren’t being approached by multiple people (you will note there’s a tab at the bottom for 2019 which was left up for ideas of what was given in the past) Please fill out the donation form and email it to Karine or Sarah. Feel free to email either of them if you would like to check in, or ask a question about making an ask to a business.
- We are asking all class parents (with the PTA Rep as the point of contact) to come together as a parent group and come up with a Yuletide class contribution to share with the community. The contribution should reflect the theme of the Yuletide Class duties. For example, the 12th grade will be making stained glass kits in lieu of being able to do the stained glass activity at our usual fair. The cost for any materials required to create your contribution can be reimbursed.
- We will be using Signup Genius to assist class parents in organizing volunteers for the Silent Auction class contributions, it’s in the same format as last year with tabs by grade or class. We can either give you direct access to administer your class tab or you can let Ying know what you would like to add to your tab. For now we have put some placeholder information in for each grade, Here us the Silent Auction 2020 Signup Genius with tabs by grade/class. Request access or updates to your tab through 7th grade class parent Ying Zhu.
- Please note: separately, we are asking the faculty to work with students to make a student-led class contribution.
PTA Representatives should be connecting with their respective classes soon if they haven’t already.
October 12th: Classes determine their parent offering
November 1st: Class parents prepare and complete their donated items
November 13th: All donations are due by November 13th, we hope they will trickle in and this will be the last day we can post them to the auction site.
November 15th: Auction goes live
November 30th: Auction closes
We will be shipping, delivering and allowing local pick-up for items.
Items will all be shipped or delivered by December 7th with an in-person, school-wide Auction item pick-up day on Saturday, December 5th in the school parking lot.
The Parent Teacher Association (PTA) at Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School fosters a healthy relationship between parents, faculty and staff. We provide bi-weekly meetings with a focus on announcements such as volunteering opportunities, event planning/organizing and parent education. We strive to keep communication and information flowing from parents to faculty and staff. We have meetings that address pressing new issues or projects that parents, faculty or staff feel are important to be discussed or expressed in an open forum to share information and feedback.
The PTA invites all parents, faculty, and staff to their meetings, an open and receptive place for discussion and discourse on topics of education and the overall school community. Join us weekly on Wednesdays from 8:15 am until 9 am for our “Coffee Hour and Social Gathering” in the Teaching Kitchen with warm beverages and snacks to share. On those Wednesdays where there is a PTA meeting scheduled, the social time will transition into the meeting.
The PTA strives to:
- Foster Communication between parents, faculty and staff
- Provide a forum for discussion of school-wide challenges and issues
- We support fundraising through event planning/support and education
- Encourage and support parent understanding of Waldorf education
- Support the social life within the school community
The structure of the PTA includes the PTA Council which keeps a pulse on the health of the school to guide what topics and issues the PTA needs to focus on in PTA meetings, and when necessary to bring topics to the attention of the Executive Group for further discussion and action. The Council currently consists of representatives across the Kindergarten, Lower and Upper schools. Karine Bouis-Towe chairs the current Council with members including Jeanine Earnhart, Regina Shea, Leland Lehrman and Louisa Heyward. The Council meets weekly as necessary to keep a pulse on current school events and to have a deep awareness of the school community happenings. The responsibilities are a bit beyond the regular class representation as far as meeting and communicating to keep the PTA up to task.
The school relies on parents to volunteer for all of the festivals. Tasks are broken down by class, and within each class parents are asked to volunteer to work during festivals or preparing baked goods, crafts etc. prior to the actual event. This act of volunteering helps to bring the spirit of the parents and families into the school life and supporting festivals. Volunteer requests often come directly from your PTA representative(s) or teachers.
If you would like to get involved, or have questions or concerns, please contact your PTA Class Rep or contact the current PTA Chair Karine Bouis-Towe at 518-392-1196, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to support your experience at Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School.
Welcome and have a great year!
For the full list of dates and times for PTA Meetings, click here.