Festivals are an integral part of life here at Hawthorne Valley. The school hosts two festivals annually: the Spring Fair & May Day celebration, and the Yuletide Fair in early December. To learn more about these festivals, please visit the links. This page is dedicated to information for parents about organizing and volunteering for these two important school-based events.
The Yuletide Fair is the school’s largest festival and takes place each winter, this year it will be held on Saturday, December 1st. The fair engages everyone in the community – kids, teachers, parents, extended family members & friends! It is a magical event and one of the greatest opportunities to express our individual talents and to experience the strength and unique beauty of our community. The fair also contributes significantly to the school’s fundraising efforts. Much preparation, planning, and crafting go into making the fair an outstanding event for everyone!
Information on volunteering opportunities can be found below. Additional information about the festival can be found here.
A Letter from Your 2018 Yuletide Fair co-chairs
The Yuletide Fair is just around the corner on Saturday, December 1st and we are starting the preparations! We are happy to co-coordinate along with the help of so many other Hawthorne Valley School (HVS) parents who are volunteering their time and energy to make this event successful.
Yuletide Class Champions and Class Representatives will be working with teachers, students, and parents of their respective classes in order to facilitate the assigned class activities. Please look out for emails from your class and sign up to volunteer. We need your help!
You can find the list of activities by grade here.
Please contact your Class Representative to get involved!
Karine Bouis & Kim Bucci
Hand-to-Hand Clothing Drive
Please donate your lightly used items to our 2018 Yuletide Fair ‘Hand-to-Hand’ Room!!! This room at the fair is a great place for the community to buy gifts for the holiday season.
Clean out your closets and fill up boxes with the following…
**Please include only specified items listed here:
WHAT TO DONATE:
- Clothing for men, women, children & babies
- Woolens – long underwear, sweaters, dresses, cardigans, socks, leggings, tights (no polyester or acrylic please)
- Outerwear – jackets, coats, snow pants, rain gear, hats, gloves, scarves, balaclavas
- Clothing – cotton dresses, denim jeans, corduroy pants, skirts, dresses
- Shoes – rain & snow boots, shoes, slippers, ice skates, ski boots
- Toys – handmade dolls and doll clothes, wooden toys, games, instruments (no plastics please)
- Blankets & throws – wool, handmade
- Books – children’s, parenting, crafting, Waldorf related topics
- Sheet Music
WHERE & WHEN TO DONATE:
Monday-Friday, outside of the main office.
Please drop in grey bins under the table (and tablecloth) labeled Hand-to-Hand donations.
If you have questions regarding Hand-to-Hand donations please contact the coordinator Kristin Hesse.
Thank you all for your support!!
Calling All Musicians
The Yuletide Fair wouldn’t be complete without the amazing musicians who fill the rooms and halls of the school each year. If you would like to participate in the Fair – you can play a lot or a little – please reach out to Stine Wengler. Fiddlers, singer-songwriters, duos, trios, quartets, strings, bluegrass bands etc. are all welcome for this volunteer-based merry-making!
Greetings! For the past couple of years, thanks to the effort of dedicated parent volunteers, the Silent Auction has brought in many attractive donations.
Please contact Jill Duffy if you would like to make a contribution to the Silent Auction this year, she will cross-check our donation list to ensure that there are no duplicate items being sought, and that no businesses are approached more than once.
Ideas to consider pursuing for the silent auction:
- Hosted Events (wine/chocolate tastings, bratwurst and beer, cocktails and locally crafted hors-d’oeuvres)
- Prepared Meals (family dinner featuring North African cuisine, Cuban cuisine, German and so on)
- Event Tickets (theatre, concerts, sporting events, ski lifts)
- Restaurant Gift Certificates
- Artwork (painting, drawing, printmaking, photography)
- Handmade Crafts (furniture, pottery, knits, dolls)
- Lessons (musical instruments, language, sport and leisure activities)
- Professional Services (legal, personal organizing, home improvement, culinary, event planning, design)
- Professional Photography Sessions
- Workshops (cooking, crafting, singing, design, parenting) *group or individual
- Travel (city or country homestays, hotel stays, vacation rentals)
Items with a minimum value of $100 are preferred, but we welcome items with a smaller value, which could be added to one of our themed baskets such as: Local Artisan, Knits and Such, or Waldorf Accoutrement.
We need to gather a wide variety of eye-catching items or experiences that will excite our community to bid! All in-kind donations are fully tax deductible. Each donation needs to include a completed Donation Form (contact Jill Duffy).